30.11.09

Shakira calls her parents 'incompetent'

Pop star Shakira termed her parents as 'the most incompetent business people in the world' as her father went bankrupt when she was young.
The 'Hips Don't Lie' hitmaker said she was upset and frightened when her father, a jeweller, went bankrupt and had to sell most of the family possessions when she was just eight-years-old, Contactmusic reported.
"I couldn't believe my parents! I thought they were the most incompetent business people in the world! And I was so upset," Shakira said.
The incident left a deep impact on the Colombian beauty regarding poverty. "My dad and my mom took me to the park that day, where all the kids who were orphans are sniffing glue to deal with the tragedy of their own lives and hunger and the solitude of their lives," Shakira said.
"Little kids, like my age, sniffing glue and barefoot. They just wanted to show me another reality that was much worse than mine. The image of those kids left a huge impression," she added.
The singer who is also a UNICEF Goodwill ambassador has established a charity foundation called 'Pies Descalzos Foundation', which sets up special schools for underprivileged children in her native country.

0 comments:

Drugs rocket in AP